I am currently working as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Prof. Zhenan Bao's group in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Stanford University.
My interdisciplinary research is focused on developing bio-inspired materials and structures for interactive sensing and actuating technologies. More details will be updated in this section.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Zhenan Bao Group
Education & Training Background
Stanford University (2020 - Present)
Department of Chemical Engineering
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
University of California, Irvine (2015 - 2020)
Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology of China (2012 - 2015)
Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at the Microscale
M.Sc. in Polymer Chemistry and Physics
University of Science and Technology of China (2008 - 2012)
Special Class for the Gifted Young (少年班)
B.Sc. in Chemistry
11. Huaxin Gong, Yuelang Chen, Shucheng Chen, Chengyi Xu, Yufei Yang, Yusheng Ye, Zhuojun Huang, Rui Ning, Yi Cui, Zhenan Bao, Fast-Charging of Hybrid Lithium-Ion/Lithium-Metal Anodes by Nanostructured Hard Carbon Host. ACS Energy Letters 7, 4417-4426 (2022). Link to Full Article
10. Zhitao Zhang, W. Wang, Y. Jiang, Y.-X. Wang, Y. Wu, J.-C. Lai, S. Niu, Chengyi Xu, C.-C. Shih, C. Wang, H. Yan, L. Galuska, N. Prine, H.-C. Wu, D. Zhong, G. Chen, N. Matsuhisa, Y. Zheng, Z. Yu, Y. Wang, R. Dauskardt, X. Gu, J. B. H. Tok, Zhenan Bao, High-brightness all-polymer stretchable LED with charge-trapping dilution. Nature 603, 624–630 (2022). Link to Full Article
9. Yinuan Liu, Zhijing Feng, Chengyi Xu, Atrouli Chatterjee, Alon A. Gorodetsky, "Reconfigurable Micro- and Nano-structured Camouflage Surfaces Inspired by Cephalopods", ACS Nano 15, 17299–17309 (2021). Link to Full Article
8. Chengyi Xu, Nabin Kandel, Xin Qiao, Imran Khan, Preeta Pratakshya, Bo Chen, Alon A. Gorodetsky, "Long-Range Proton Transport in Films from a Reflectin-Derived Polypeptide", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 13 (18), 20938-20946 (2021).
7. Chengyi Xu, Melvin Colorado Escobar, Alon A. Gorodetsky, "Stretchable Cephalopod‐Inspired Multimodal Camouflage Systems", Advanced Materials 32 (16), 1905717 (2020). Link to Full Article
6. Chengyi Xu, Erica M. Leung, Alon A. Gorodetsky, "Cephalopod-inspired adaptive infrared materials and systems", WorldWide – ElectroActive Polymer Newsletter 21 (2), 13-15 (2019). (Ed. by Dr. Yoseph Bar-Cohen, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
5. Chengyi Xu, George T. Stiubianu, Alon A. Gorodetsky, "Adaptive infrared-reflecting systems inspired by cephalopods", Science 359, 1495-1500 (2018).
4. Baozhang Li, Chengyi Xu, Feifei Zhang, Jianming Zheng, Chunye Xu, "Self-polarized piezoelectric thin films: preparation, formation mechanism and application", Journal of Materials Chemistry C 3 (34), 8926-8931 (2015). Link to Full Article
3. Chengyi Xu, Baozhang Li, Chunye Xu, Jianming Zheng, "A novel dielectric elastomer actuator based on compliant polyvinyl alcohol hydrogel electrodes", Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 26 (11), 9213-9218 (2015). Link to Full Article
2. Baozhang Li, Chengyi Xu, Jianming Zheng, Chunye Xu, "Sensitivity of pressure sensors enhanced by doping silver nanowires", Sensors 14 (6), 9889-9899 (2014).
1. Chengyi Xu, Chunye Xu, Jianming Zheng,"Flapping metal actuator in electric field", Proc. SPIE 8793, Fourth International Conference on Smart Materials and Nanotechnology in Engineering, 87930N (2013). Link to Full Article
15. Kaiwen Hsiao, Gabriel Lipkowitz, Dan IIyin, Arielle Berman, Chengyi Xu, Emily Stein, Khuyen Nguyen, Tim Samuelson, Zhenan Bao, Eric Shaqfeh, Joseph M. DeSimone, “Single-digit micron 3D Continuous Liquid Interface Production (CLIP) for wearable electronics”, Gordon Research Conference - Additive Manufacturing, Ventura, CA, 2022.
14. Emily Stein, Kaiwen Hsiao, Arielle Berman, Chengyi Xu, Khuyen Nguyen, Zhenan Bao, Joseph M. DeSimone. “3D printing lattice based capacitive pressure sensors for human health and performance monitoring”, Gordon Research Conference - Additive Manufacturing, Ventura, CA, 2022.
13. Chengyi Xu, Alon A. Gorodetsky, "Stretchable Cephalopod-Inspired Multimodal Camouflage Systems", Materials Research Society Spring Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2020. (Oral, delayed to Nov 2020 due to COVID-19)
12. Chengyi Xu, Alon A. Gorodetsky, “Cephalopod-Inspired Adaptive Multispectral Camouflage from a Stretchable Polymeric Conductor”, SPIE Conference: Bioinspiration, Biomimetics, and Bioreplication X, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2020. (Oral)
11. Chengyi Xu, Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, USA, 2019. (Symposium Assistant)
10. Chengyi Xu, Gordon Research Conference - Bioelectronics, Andover, NH, 2019. (Student Attendee)
8. Chengyi Xu, Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, USA, 2018. (Symposium Chair of 'Flexible Electronics')
7. Chengyi Xu, “Adaptive infrared camouflage inspired by cephalopods: from science fiction to reality”, Cephalopod International Advisory Council Meeting, St. Petersburg, FL, USA, 2018. (Oral)
6. Chengyi Xu, Alon A. Gorodetsky, “Adaptive infrared-reflecting systems inspired by cephalopods”,TechConnect World Innovation Conference and Expo, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2018. (Poster)
5. Chengyi Xu, “Adaptive infrared camouflage inspired by cephalopods”, AGS Graduate Research Symposium, UC Irvine, CA, USA, 2018. (Oral)
4. Chengyi Xu, Alon A. Gorodetsky, “Adaptive infrared-reflecting materials and systems inspired by cephalopods”, Materials Research Society Spring Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2018. (Oral & Poster)
3. Erica Leung, Long Phan, Chengyi Xu, Alon Gorodetsky, "Camouflage materials inspired by cephalopods", Materials Research Society Spring Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2017. (Oral)
2. Chengyi Xu, Jianming Zheng, Chunye Xu “Flapping metal actuator in electrical field”,SPIE Fourth International Conference on Smart Materials and Nanotechnology in Engineering, Gold Coast, Australia, 2013. (Oral)
1. Chengyi Xu, “Electro-active polymer actuators and their applications”, The 7th National Laboratory Academic Forum, Hefei, China, 2013. (Oral)
Arielle Berman (PhD student @ ME, Stanford)
Josué García-Ávila (PhD student @ ME, Stanford)
Emma Barbier (Master thesis @ Life Sciences & Biomedical Engineering, EPFL)
Wei-Chun Hsu (Master student @ MSE, Stanford)
Omry Bejerano (Stanford Summer Research, Henry M. Gunn High School, CA)
William Qin (Stanford Summer Research, Menlo Park High School, CA)
Panyiming Liu (PhD student @ MSE, UC Irvine)
Aleksandra Vyatskikh (PhD student @ MSE, UC Irvine)
Melvin Colorado Escobar (PhD student @ Chemistry, UC Irvine)
Yinuan Liu (PhD student @ Chemistry, UC Irvine)
Invited Journal Reviewer:
Nature Communications, Science Advances, Accounts of Chemical Research, Advanced Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Science, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, iScience, APL Materials, Light: Science & Applications, Scientific Reports, Sensors, Electronics, Actuators, Membranes, Materials, Applied Sciences, Applied System Innovation
To be updated.